Monday, November 17, 2008

The Art of Basketball

So I'm fully convinced there's more to basketball then just plain skill. I look at some people who tore up college like let's say Dee Brown, Adam Morrison, J.J. Redick, etc. The thing I believe is it is all in confidence. I think Morrison is starting to get his back, I don't know if Redick will ever be on the same level he was at Duke, and Dee Brown can't get enough shots up in games to ever get his back. But here is my point, I think the difference in skill between Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, and a 3rd string point guard on a bad club is a lot smaller then many of us would think. Guys like Derrick Rose and Chris Paul have more confidence, and they have a slightly higher basketball IQ, and the are GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY. That is the whole part of basketball I don't like. There are so many capable players, but there is so much politics and crap involved in sports it just makes me mad. It's like Morris Almond goes down to the NBDL and scores 20 something a game but can hardly see the court in the NBA. Or Jamario Moon was playing with the Harlem Globetrotters for years because no serious league wanted him, then he gets to the Raptors and has a awesome debut as a 27 or 28 year old rookie. I just wish people looked more at skill and character, and I wish coaches tried to instill confidence in everyone. If someone takes a bad shot, don't yank them out of the game immediately because they're going to start thinking about every shot they take. Tell them it's alright, but try to be a little more conservative with your shot selection. Be easier and don't bring a players confidence down, because not only are you going to hurt that players development, but you will also hurt your team.

No comments: